Reported DUI Checkpoints and Saturation Patrols This Weekend
Memorial Day 2021 is finally here and if you haven’t already run into a DUI Checkpoint this weekend, you might tomorrow. According to the Patch, the Los Angeles Police Department and California Highway Patrol will be in force this weekend to stop potential drunk drivers.
As noted by the Patch the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) has held or will be holding Checkpoints in the following areas:
- DUI Saturation Patrol – West Valley Area (Friday)
- DUI Saturation Patrol – Newton Area (Friday)
- DUI Checkpoint – Imperial Highway and Compton Ave (Friday)
- DUI Saturation Patrol – Rampart Area (Saturday)
- DUI Saturation Patrol – Southeast Area (Saturday)
- DUI Checkpoint – Osborne Street and Laurel Canyon Boulevard (Saturday)
- DUI Checkpoint – Manchester Avenue and Main Street in Los Angeles (Sunday)
The California Highway Patrol is also conducting their “maximum enforcement period” from 6:00 pm Friday until 11:59 pm Monday. A large percentage of all the traffic fatalities during the Memorial Day holiday period involve an impaired driver.
From Memorial Day until Labor Day many law enforcement agencies will be conducting sobriety checkpoints and saturation patrols to stop drunk drivers. DUI checkpoints and saturation patrols are generally held in areas with a large percentage of alcohol-related accidents.
Even if no official checkpoints or saturation patrols have been announced in a particular area, most agencies (like the CHP) will be running their maximum enforcement period. During maximum enforcement periods all available officers of an agency are on patrol looking for violations, impaired or distracted drivers.