How Mental Health Disorders Affect People Across the Globe
Now, more than ever, people are more aware about the importance of mental health. From celebrities and athletes that have spoken publicly about their struggles to everyday people that share on social media, the reality is that mental health disorders affect people from all walks of life.
Here are 5 surprising facts that you may not know about mental health from the World Health Organization (WHO):
- Mental health disorders, substance use disorders, and neurological ailments account for “10% of the global burden of disease.”
- An estimated “1 in 7 of the world’s adolescents have a mental disorder.”
- Worldwide approximately “5% of adults suffer from depression.”
- Over “700,000 people die by suicide every year.”
- Suicide is the 4th leading cause of death for people between the ages of 15 and 29.
These are only a few of the devastating realities about mental health. It affects people regardless of age, income, ethnicity, race, or sex.
Why You Need to Seek Treatment
If you or a loved one are struggling with a mental health disorder, it is important to seek professional treatment. Only a small portion of adults and youth with a diagnosable mental health disorder ever seek the treatment that they need. A large percentage do not even have access to the support.
Getting help and continuing treatment can help you learn how to cope with your mental health disorder. It may also help with other disorders that you may be struggling with, including substance use disorders. It is not uncommon for mental health disorders, and substance use disorders to co-exist, referred to as comorbidity.